[NOTE: This is a one off recipe. For a real good blog about food, check out mortadifame.blogspot.com It’s funny and well written and the food always looks great. Even Fava beans looked tasty and as you know this blog has a strict no Fava bean rule]
Sean, a friend of mine from work brought in this amazing chicken a while ago that his father had made. Here’s the recipe:
7-8 Pounds of chicken legs and wings (I prefer just legs, it fits better on the grill if its all uniform)
¼ cup of black pepper
¼ cup of white sugar
½ cup of Italian seasoning
¼ cup of chili powder
¼ cup of dried rosemary
2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper
2 cups of hot sauce (NOT Tabasco, I use Franks but as long as it’s not
Tabasco you’re ok. Tabasco, you know what you did.)
2 cups of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
1 stick of butter
Combine stuff for the sauce and heat low in a saucepan until it’s all melted, then you can put it in a spray bottle or a bowl with a brush. I use the bowl and the brush because any spray bottle I every used ended up clogging (like my arteries).
THE COOKING PART
1) Pour 1 cup of hot sauce (again, NOT Tabasco) on the chicken and toss
2) Add seasoning mix to chicken and toss yet again.
3) OPTIONAL: I then put the chicken in the refrigerator overnight, but you don’t have to
4) Slow cook on the grill
5) Spray or baste the chicken with the sauce AFTER 20 minutes and flip
6) After the first spraying/basting of the chicken with the sauce, do it EVERY 10 minutes and flip
7) Total cooking time is approx. 2 hours or when sauce is gone.
The chicken is good hot but it’s great when it’s cold. This recipe serves one